From the oldest church records we find that as early as 1815 church services were held in or near Plattsburg. These early meetings were held in private homes and from 1834 on, in township houses and in the Plattsburg Schoolhouse.
The first church, called the People's House, was built in 1846 on land donated for that purpose by William and Hannah Osborne. Money for the building was raised by subscriptions. Nearly everyone in the community contributed, as there were few churches in the country at that time. The church was a brick structure; the brick being made and burnt near Plattsburg. The church was equipped with a gallery and had a seating capacity of 400.
The People's House was a partnership house between the Christians and the Universalists. Each body was to occupy half the time if desired, with unoccupied days to be free for any denomination. In 1897 The Universalists gave up their claim and the church was then known as the Plattsburg Christian Church.
We have no record of the charter members but the following families were represented: John Judy, Enoch King, Jonathan Henry, Benjamin Henry, Andrew Nichelson, Mathew Bonner, William Osborne and James Porter.
The first Sunday School was organized in 1868.
Approximately 55 men and women have served the church as pastor.
In 1929 Edwin H Peters of St. Louis, erected in memory of his wife, Mrs. Stella Porter Peters, the Memorial chapel of our church. At that same time many other contributions were made to the church, including six beautiful memorial windows. The large window in front of our church and the complete altar furniture were given by Mr. Clay Osborne in memory of his parents, William and Hannah Osborne.
In 1931 the Congregational and Christian churches were united and our church became known as the Plattsburg Congregational Christian Church. In the late 1950's a movement with Evangelical and Reformed churches created the United Church of Christ. Since that time, we have been known as Plattsburg United Church of Christ.
In 1937 the Edwin Peters' Memorial Parsonage was dedicated. This beautiful parsonage was made possible by money bequeathed the church by Mr. Peters and by the donations of Miss B. Grace Porter. Also in 1937 the bulletin board in front of our church was given by Mrs. Francis Judy Beardsley and Mrs. Stella Judy Price. Gifts contributed by many others have made ours one of the most beautiful rural churches in Ohio.
Various modernization projects have been locally funded to preserve the beauty and heritage of Plattsburg UCC in past decades. Some projects include new pews and carpeting installed in the 1960's and modernized in 2010. In the 1970's a new organ was purchased. The 1980's brought central air conditioning to the facility. In the 1990's the congregation was challenged to make the structure more accessible to those with special needs. 2011 presented the opportunity to renovate the church kitchen and basement. We now enjoy a dry basement!
Plattsburg UCC has enjoyed a proud heritage since 1846. As our congregation continues to work together there is no question that Plattsburg United Church of Christ will remain the "church at the crossroads" throughout the 21st century.
The town was originally surveyed in September 1852 by John B. Fish, but the plot was not recorded until 1853. Lot number 1 is the lot upon which the parsonage is built and the church is built on lot number 16.
It is said the first house was built on lot 17, which is the lot on the southeast corner of the square. Until 1858 the town had no name although the word "Flatfield" was written across the original tract and later scratched out. In 1858 there was some agreement that a meeting would be held of the townsfolk to name the town.
Just prior to holding this meeting something happened. News reached our little town that on that day at Plattsburg, New York, a skirmish had been fought between the white men and the Indians. The battleground was a frozen lake. When the meeting was called someone recalled that a couple of our local boys had also had "a battle on ice" on a frozen mud puddle just behind the old school!
Because of this, someone suggested that the town be named Plattsburg, Ohio. After investigating and finding that no other town in Ohio went by that name, this was agreed upon.